Membership of professional bodies
- British Orthopaedic Association.
- British Medical Protection Society.
- British Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
Medical Qualification attained
- 1990 BSc 1st class honours (Guy’s Hospital)
- 1993 MBBS (Guy’s Hospital)
- 1997 FRCS (Royal College of Surgeons of England)
- 2002 FRCS (Tr & Orth. – Royal College of Surgeons of England)
Mr Skyrme undertook his higher surgical training in the South East of England following qualifying from Guy’s Hospital in 1993. In 2002 he attained his FRCS (Trauma & Orthopaedics) certificate and then undertook a one year fellowship in Australia in Sydney and Adelaide. The fellowship was concentrated primarily on complex revision hip surgery and trauma surgery. Whilst in Australia, Andrew worked with Dr Bill Walter, one of the busiest hip surgeons worldwide.
Whilst working with Dr Walter, Andrew developed his interest in lower limb hip and knee surgery and, in particular, hip revision surgery.
Appointed at Eastbourne District General Hospital in 2003 and since developed his interest in complex hip surgery and also complex foot and ankle surgery. His clinics now alternate between these two specialties.
Mr Skyrme is a Royal College Tutor for surgery for Eastbourne DGH which involves the organisation of training of the surgical junior doctors.