This is the website for the Shaping our Future public consultation, which is about stroke, general surgery and orthopaedic services in East Sussex.
This consultation has now closed.
We want to provide high quality, safe and sustainable care for patients using stroke, general surgery and orthopaedic services in East Sussex.
We want this high quality service to be available every day of the week. The way these services are currently designed at Conquest Hospital in Hastings and Eastbourne District General Hospital, means we are failing to meet some national standards and our hospitals currently do not deliver the best possible care for local people. We want to change that.
The number of people who use the three specific services is a relatively small proportion of the total number of people who access hospital services: less than 7% of patients who stay overnight in hospital each year and less than 1% of all patients who are treated in our two main hospitals.
We are trying to achieve:
- Better results for patients by providing access to treatment in specialised centres when they need it
- Fewer cancelled operations
- Better and earlier access to experts
- Quicker rehabilitation and shorter stays in hospital when appropriate
- Better recovery and support.
We believe we can achieve this by:
- Creating specialist centres to house specialist stroke, emergency and higher risk general surgery and emergency and higher risk orthopaedic services. These centres would concentrate expertise into bigger units which would see larger numbers of patients and provide round-the-clock access to highly skilled, specialist staff.
- Creating dedicated beds for emergencies that do not impact on planned procedures and allow for patients in need of urgent care to get access to expert doctors earlier.
- Developing and strengthening rehabilitation and support services so that expert care can be delivered in the best environment for the patient thereby reducing unnecessary lengthy stays in hospital.
For more information please read the consultation document or use the links on the left of this page which take you to additional information including a developing list of frequently asked questions and details of consultation events.
Our proposals do not involve Accident and Emergency (A&E) services. We have made a separate commitment to ensure A&E is kept at both Conquest Hospital and Eastbourne District General Hospital. Emergency hospital care for medical conditions such as heart attacks and pneumonia will continue to be provided in both hospitals along with the services needed to support them such as intensive care, X-ray and scanning.
We also know there has been speculation about the future of other services in East Sussex, for example maternity and paediatrics. The future provision of these services is not predetermined by the outcome of this consultation.